The Best Dog Food For Pit Bulls
Pitbulls is a misunderstood breed. Most people call them a bully breed that gives them a bad reputation. But for Pitbull lovers, these dogs deserve much love just like any other breed. Pitbulls are complex stocky, potentially aggressive and beautiful creatures that are accepted as popular family members across the world. The dogs that fall under Pitbull category need a certain level of care to live a healthy and happy life.
For taking care of a Pitbull you should be very responsible. A large part of these charismatic dog’s health revolves around their eating routine. It has been observed that Pitbulls suffer from allergies and some diseases mainly because of their wrong or incomplete diet. Pitbull being a hardy breed will survive on anything you throw at him. But that’s not what we want. As a dog lover, you may want to serve your dog with the best food available which will make him strong and muscle bound.
But the problem is you can’t pick any dog food from the market shelf and label it as the “best dog food”. To provide your Pitbull with the best, you should be aware of his nutritional needs and accordingly choose the best dog food brand for him. So let’s get deeper into Pitbulls and find exactly what you should be feeding these dogs.
Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer's review on Amazon.
Nutritional Needs Of Pitbulls
An adult Pitbull should be fed twice a day whereas puppies or young dogs should be given 3 meals per day. This is because a growing and playing Pitbull burns a lot of energy. Below are Pitbull’s nutritional requirements.
Muscle Building Proteins
Protein is a muscle builder nutrient that can lessen common injuries in Pitbulls. Protein helps in bone growth and tissue repair too. So Pitbulls, being a bulky breed require 25%-30% protein daily.
Protein being the most important nutrient for Pitbull, it becomes our duty to select the sources of protein for our pets wisely. Fish, beef, chicken and turkey are the lean meats which are quality sources of proteins. These are easily found in any reputed dog food brand.
Enjoy This Lovely Video Of Pitbull Puppies Playing With Each Other
Carbohydrates And Fats
Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for all dogs with an added benefit of aiding in digestion. If your Pitbull is not given sufficient carbs, his body will turn to muscles as the energy source. So it becomes very important to provide your Pitbull with the sufficient quantity of carbs.
Fats also provide the much-needed energy to the Pitbulls and help their body in regulating temperature. It also helps in creating shiny and healthy coat. Their food should have 15%-25% fat content.
Vitamins And Minerals
The immune system requires high-quality food full of vitamins and mineral for its adequate working, the majority of which are derived from fruits and vegetables. A healthy immune system leads to overall better health.
The caloric requirement of Pitbull is determined by age, weight and activity level. A Pitbull requires a different amount of calories at different life stages. Generally, adult Pitbulls require 875 calories whereas a super active adult requires 1750 calories and a lactating mother dog requires 1100 calories. Consult with your dog’s vet for determining his caloric requirement.
Water is the most important life force for a Pitbull. They need repeated water breaks because of their energy levels and muscle mass. Water also helps in digestion and keeps the body system free of toxins.
Now Comes The “Enemies” Of Your Pitbull’s Health.
Keep your Pitbull away from
- Meat by-products
- Corn, corn by-products
- Poultry by-products
- Added sweeteners
- Fake fat sources
- Artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives
Now that you know the nutritional needs of your Pitbulls and his “enemy ingredients”, you should be able to select the best dog food for your Pitbull.
Why Should You Choose The Best Dog Food For Your Pitbull?
- If we keep dogs as our pets and lifelong companions, it becomes our job to keep them healthy and happy which can be done by providing your pet with a well-balanced food. But not every dog food brand provides the best food for your dog. They don’t include all the important nutrients to ensure your dog’s proper health. But some companies do the study and research to find out the different requirements for different breeds and provide you with the best dog food.
- There are different dog foods in the market, some of them are brilliant and others are filled with unnecessary fillers that don't provide the required nutrients to your dog. So it becomes important to discover the nutritional requirements of your dog and accordingly select the best dog food. By giving your pooch, the best dog food you are taking a step towards making his life long and happy.
Here are some brands which you can consider for your Pitbull.
Top 5 Dog Food Brands For Pitbull
Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food for Puppy is an outstanding brand of dog food which you can consider for your Pitbull Puppy. It is given high regard in dog food industry. It uses a grain-free formula. I also use this dog food for my Pitbull pup.
Many Pitbull owners who have tried this dog food reported a shiny and healthy coat, healthier stool, overall great health of their pups. This dog food contains vegetables and fruits which provide required antioxidants and that support healthy lifestyle and growth rate.
- It is easily digestible for your Pitbull’s stomach as the formula is totally grain-free which means fewer carbohydrates.
- Fewer odor issues and dermatological issues.
- Great increase in energy, vigor, and vitality.
- Reasonable and appropriate price.
- This dog food gives your Pitbull all the quality nutrients that he needs.
- It provides your Pitbull the required protein by including ingredients like fish.
- A few customers have reported that their pets lost weight after using this dog food. This could be due to its grain-free formula that he might not be getting enough carbs. But this problem has been experienced by only 1 in 100 users.
I personally found this dog food brand very healthy for my Pitbull pup. It gives vast health benefits to your Pitbull, a great taste and I saw an overall enjoyment in my pup. If you also want to the same benefits for your dog, you can buy this dog food from Amazon.com.
Sweet potato and Venison
As I discussed in the article, that the first ingredient in your dog’s food should be protein. The same is found in Natural Balance L.I.D. It contains a high amount of protein (venison). In addition to this, it also contains healthy carbs. Check the ingredients of the dog food before buying it. If the ingredients are from China, then stay away from it but if those are from U.S.A then it is safe for your dog. Following are its pros and cons.
- The Sweet Potatoes present in this dog food provides premium quality carbs to your Pitbull.
- The fresh Venison provides premium quality protein to your dog which is not commonly found in other dog foods.
- This dog food is also rich in potassium and provides a highly digestible energy source.
- It also contains a slight amount of omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6 fatty acids which contribute to healthy skin of your Pitbull.
- Some dog owners have reported that this dog food proved allergic to their dogs. After using this dog food they noticed itching and allergies in their dogs.
- The starch content is somewhat high due to sweet potato.
Overall this dog food is a good choice for your Pitbull but don’t use it if your dog is very sensitive to allergies. You can buy this dog food from Amazon.com.
Blue Buffalo is one of the highest quality dog food brands and the pricier one too. It works very well for your pooch’s health. This dog food is made with the best and healthy ingredients. Pitbull owners who switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dry Adult Dog Food have noticed improvements in their dogs. Its pros and cons are as under.
- It does not contain any poultry and meat by-products, wheat, corn, soy, or any artificial colors and preservatives.
- This dog food has been formulated to help your Pitbull with some potential medical issues like muscle development, teeth and bone development, lack of energy, coat and skin issues, joint health and immune system health.
- It provides the required protein, fat and other nutrients.
- The price of this dog food is very high.
- It contains an excess of vitamin D due to which some dog owners have experienced gastrointestinal issues in their pets.
- Some Pitbulls owners have also noticed signs of lethargy in their dogs after using this dog food.
I appreciate this product as it can help your dog with any of the above-stated medical issues, in case he has any. Although its price is high but it’s worth it. You can buy this product from Amazon.com.
It is a chicken and brown rice recipe. The first ingredient of this dog food is chicken which is a very good source of protein. All the ingredients of Nature’s Variety Prairie Dry Dog Food are simple and natural, nothing is artificial. A freeze-dried raw coating is applied to add a boost of nutrition and great taste. Its pros and cons are as follows.
- Simple and natural ingredients with added mineral and vitamins.
- Omega fatty acids from ingredients like menhaden fish meal and flaxseed provide a shiny and soft coat to your Pitbull.
- Includes whole grains like brown rice and fresh veggies and fruits like apples, carrots, blueberries, sweet potatoes.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient.
- Its great taste makes your Pitbull even happier.
- 100% product guarantee.
- Your Pitbull may experience loose or bloody stools.
- Vomiting might begin.
- Some Pitbulls also experienced scratching.
I really like this dog food because of its all natural and simple ingredients. Real chicken being the first ingredient makes it a brilliant choice for your Pitbull. If you want to buy this dog food, go get it from Amazon.com.
This pet food brand has the right idea of selecting premium quality proteins like whitefish meal and chicken. Actually, Pitbull puppies have sensitive tummies. So, oats and sweet potatoes are quite easy for them to digest. Customers have seen great improvements in their pets having horrible diarrhea after using this dog food. Following are its pros and cons.
- It contains DHA which supports brain and eye health.
- High-quality proteins help in the development of lean and strong muscles and bones.
- This dog food is very good for your Pitbull’s digestive system.
- Itchy rashes and ears clear up.
- This dog food helps in reducing gas and bloating.
- It also contains nutrient-rich carbohydrates.
- This dog food has a fishy smell.
- Some dog owners noticed diarrhea in their pets after using this dog food. But this is mainly noticed in breeds not requiring a high amount of protein.
I recommend this dog food as it has many benefits for your dog which other dog foods don’t have like DHA for promoting brain and eye health, clearing digestive system. You can buy this product from Amazon.com with 100% guarantee.
After studying the top 5 brands of dog food, I think Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food to be the best dog food for Pitbulls. I personally use this dog food for my Pitbull and it gave amazing results for its health. The best is its grain-free formula due to which it is suitable to the Pitbulls who are sensitive to allergic reactions. It contains probiotics which help in digestion. It also helps in keeping healthy skin and coat. It helps in addressing some issues such as that related to odor and dandruff.
Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food also fulfills all the nutritional requirements of your dog. It provides the required energy to your Pitbull that a growing Pitbull needs. This dog food also provides your dog with the high amount of protein.
The sources of protein are also of high quality such as fish. Vitamins and minerals which are important for a healthy immune system are also provided by this dog food brand. It contains fruits and vegetables which are rich in antioxidants.
No symptoms of digestion problem like loose or bloody stools, bloating and gas are noticed by using this dog food. It is affordable as well. The price is just and fair. You get so many benefits for your Pitbull at such a reasonable price which others dog food doesn’t give.
So all these advantages make this dog food, the best dog food for your Pitbull. I have been using this dog food brand for my Pitbull since 4 years and he truly loves it!!!