The Best Dog Food For Rottweiler You Need To Know
Healthy Food = Healthy Rottweiler
This equation is applicable to all dogs and humans, and we are well aware of it. So it becomes an urgent need of a dog owner to find the best food for his Rottweiler. But selecting the best food for a Rottweiler is not an easy task as all breeds of dogs have different nutritional requirements and so does the Rottweiler.
All dogs love food, so it becomes very important to select the best one for them. Rottweiler is a large breed dog, known for his strong and muscular build. Therefore, he needs a commercial dog food diet which is particularly framed for meeting his nutritional needs.
In order to select the best dog food for your Rottweiler, you first need to learn what his nutritional needs are. In this article, you will find some basic information about the nutritional needs of this dog and some of the best brands of the dog food for your Rottweiler.
Enjoy this video of two Rottweilers showing their love for food.
Nutritional Needs Of The Rottweiler
First of all, coming to the energy requirement of this breed, these are as under:
- For older dogs - 1800 calories
- For typical adults - 2200 calories
- For active and working dogs - 3500 calories
The energy requirement of Rottweiler is high as compared to other dogs because they are active and large breed. Then, coming to the macronutrients, Rottweilers are super muscular and are like Hulk dogs. So, they need a lot of protein to sustain their muscle mass.
their food should have 30% protein, and that’s minimum to look after their beautiful stuffed biceps. Since it is the most important nutrient for dogs, it should come from high-quality sources like salmon meal, deboned chicken.
Also, pay attention to their carbs intake as this breed is most prone to obesity. And eating food containing a lot of carbs can make his health worse. So look for healthier versions of carbs such as whole grains, sweet potatoes and avoid things like corn and sugar.
Coming to the fats, they should also come from good quality sources like salmon oil or chicken fat. These are very good sources of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which support healthy skin of your Rottweiler. Check this video to get the idea of how to prepare a wholesome meal for your young Rottweiler
Common Health Issues Among Rottweilers And How To Avoid Them
Osteochondritis Dissecans is a particular health issue in which the shoulder joint of your pooch is affected.
How to avoid it: First, you should avoid overfeeding your dog. Adequate portions of meals at regular intervals will help them grow steadily and prevent them from gaining weight. Second, you should include glucosamine in your Rottweiler’s diet, especially if he is old.
In this disease, the stomach of the dogs gets fill with air or gas when they eat too much in one go or too quickly. This fatal disease is usually found in large breeds like Rottweiler. Its symptoms include trying to vomit, bloating in the abdomen and excess salivation.
How to avoid it: Check your dog’s water consumption as they need a lot of water. Also try to improve the eating habits of your dog like teach him to eat slowly, chewing properly, etc.
Cancer is one of the common causes of the early deaths of Rottweilers. A proper, balanced diet rich in macronutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants can help your dog stay away from it.
Rottweiler’s are also prone to allergies. So to avoid them, you should give him a hypoallergenic diet. Also, don’t opt for commercial dog food that contains a lot of fillers. Instead, go for dog food which contains natural ingredients.
How To Choose The Best Dog Food For Your Rottweiler - The Ingredients To Look For:
As already stated, Rottweiler requires large amount protein because of their muscular body. But as all proteins are not same, it becomes very important to select a right kind of protein source. They should be getting their protein from high-quality ingredients because if it’s a bad quality source, your dog’s body will not be able to use it resourcefully. When you check the ingredients of a dog food, the first ingredient should not be a grain or a carbohydrate. Both meat meals and whole meats are good sources of protein, but meat meals are preferable because whole meats contain a lot of water only.
Rottweilers also need fat, but that too from good quality sources. Fat is very important for your dog because some vitamins required by your dog are only fat-soluble. Chicken fat is the best fat for your lovely pooch.
Some joint supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin should be added to the food of large breed dogs. So if your dog is suffering from the elbow or hip dysplasia, then try finding a dog food that contains these supplements. Your dog may benefit from such supplements.
Basic Guidelines For Feeding
You should feed your dog according to his calories requirements as discussed above. You should better divide his daily calories requirement into 2 meals, at least, but 3 is better.
Don’t leave the food open for your Rottweiler to eat at his will as he can overeat which in turn can lead to gastric torsion and obesity.
When changing from puppy to adult dog food, spread the shifting over 3 to 4 weeks. Like, you can start giving him a mixture of 80% puppy food and only 20% adult food and then slowly increase the amount of adult food in place of puppy food. This helps the digestive system of Rottweiler to get adjusted to the adult food.
Benefits Of A Healthy Diet
It is very obvious that eating a proper healthy diet will give numerous health benefits. A healthy diet ensures that your dog remains least vulnerable to various diseases. When you feed your Rottweiler with a fully nutritious meal, he will feel more energetic. As a result, he will be more active and in a playful mood which further protects him from various health problems. They will tend to become more healthy and happy!!!
If your dog is not a getting a proper diet, his energy level drops as in the case with the humans. Lack of healthy meal will make them sluggish or unenthused. A completely balanced dog food helps your dog to become healthy, energetic and lean.
A healthy diet also helps in making their skin and coat look shiner, and great as whatever you eat is depicted on your body, so is in the case with these dogs. Providing your dog with a wholesome also prevents you from unnecessary and unwanted vet visits.
There are various brands of dog food for Rottweilers. Here I will discuss the best 5 dog food products for your Rottweiler. These are as follows
Best Dog Food For Rottweiler
The Blue Buffalo pet food group offer high-quality dog food products. It offers different lines of dry food produce which include the Basic line of Limited Ingredient Diets, the Freedom line of grain-free goods, the wilderness line, and the life Protection line. Out of these, the Freedom line of grain-free dog foods is the best option for large dogs like Rottweilers.
- It contains a super large amount of protein which is roughly 40%. Normally, it becomes very difficult to find any dog food with this amount of protein.
- It does not contain food allergens such as wheat, soy, and corn.
- This food comes for both adult dogs and puppies in large breed specific option.
- This grain free food is available in three flavors chicken, lamb, and beef.
- It contains natural ingredients.
- This dog food is a bit costlier as compared to other brands of dog food.
- If you want to buy this product, you can order your dog food from Amazon.com.
I personally found this dog food to be of really help when in substituted my dog’s previous food with Blue Buffalo Gain-Free dog food. I found many improvements in his health, and as my Rottweiler is prone to allergies, this dog food served as a boon for him.
This dog food is made particularly for the Rottweilers. This product is also high in protein which nurtures the muscles of your dog. The protein which this dog food contains is highly digestible which helps in keeping his weight under control. You can buy this amazing dog food here Amazon.com. This dog food also helps in maintaining bone and joint health of your Rottweiler. Below are its pros and cons.
- Great food for cardiac health!!! It provides your dog with EPA and DHA, taurine to keep his heart healthy as the dogs are more prone to cardiac diseases.
- It contains a high amount of digestible protein.
- This food helps in weight management which protects your dog from obesity related issues.
- It ensures healthy joints and bones of your Rottweiler.
- This food is not a good choice for Rottweilers that are below 18 months old. So you should consider another dog food if your dog is still young.
- This dog food is also quite expensive.
- Royal Canin dog food is a first-class choice for your dog, especially if his weight is not under control. This dog food help would help him in losing some weight which will protect him from many diseases.
This Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food is a complete and balanced dog food. It makes dry dog nutritious and delicious food for your dog. It contains all the premium and natural ingredients. It has no added preservatives, flavors or colors. This food helps to improve the overall health of your dog. If you are thinking of buying this dog food for your Rottweiler, then you can buy the same at Amazon.com at best possible price. Its pros and cons are given below.
- All ingredients which it contains are premium like real pork and chicken to meet the specific requirements of the dog.
- It contains all natural ingredients and no wheat, corn, meat by-products, flavors, artificial colors or preservatives.
- The price of this dog food is reasonable and less as compared to other 4-star dog food products.
- This dog food helps your dog look healthier and trimmer.
- Its protein content is somewhat less as compared to other dog food products.
- I appreciate this product as it provides your dog with all the nutrients and needs required for his good health at a very affordable price.
This company is operating back since 1989. This dog food aims at providing the wholesome diet to your Rottweiler that is supported by nutritional truths. This product also offers different lines of products which include the Ultra Premium Line, the Limited Ingredients Diets line, and the Wild Pursuit line. The first ingredient in this dog food is lamb meal which is a great source of high-quality protein. You can buy this product from Amazon.com to avail all of its benefits. Following are its pros and cons.
- This company also offers a vegetarian line of foods for your dog.
- This dog food helps in maintaining a healthy weight of your Rottweiler.
- It also provides the required amount of concentrated protein to your dog.
- It is less expensive as compared to other dog food of same quality.
- It contains the required protein/fat ratio.
- Since it is a plant-based dog food, it relies on potato and peas protein which might not be sufficient for your dog.
- I would like to recommend this product, especially if your Rottweiler has food sensitivities. My friend used this for her pet and found great improvements with his skin rash and upset tummy.
Orijen is one of the topmost rated brands in the market of dog foods. This dog food has healthy ingredients and amazing taste. The high-quality ingredients like protein and meat are included in its top 10 ingredients. This dog food also improves the complete health of your dog. If you want to own this product then, hurry up, buy this product from Amazon.com. Following are the pros and cons of this dog food.
- This dog food is enriched with a bulk of best nutrients, which is precisely what your Rottweiler requires.
- It contains protein-rich ingredients which are very important for your dog.
- It is a good quality dog food that improves the health of your dog.
- It makes a delicious food for your dog.
- This dog food contains PEA FIBER which is believed to cause loose stools in dogs.
- It is quite expensive.
- I had tried this dog food and its worth its price. All the benefits that the product claims regarding the health of your dog are true. All the ingredients it contains are actually of superior quality. The problem I found with this product is its price, but if you can afford that, go ahead with it.
After carefully analyzing the above top 5 brands of dog food, I find Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free Large-Breed Formula to be the finest for Rottweilers. The reason being it contains the highest amount of high-quality protein, which is excellent for your Rottweiler. It does not contain any allergens like wheat, soy, etc. In addition to it, all its ingredients are purely natural. All these features help in protecting your dog from various diseases.
I have been using these dog food for my Rottweiler and trust me it helped my Rottweiler to stay fit and active. I hope the same happens with your Rottweiler too!!!